MentorDay is free but as many free things, getting the attention of the mentors can feel like standing in line for a free Rolling Stones concert in a small theatre. With that in mind, I would like to give you some tips on how to be more effective at securing that 1-on-1 mentorship time.
1. Apply early. Don’t wait till the last minute. It’s easier to get a spot if you apply early on. You’ll give the mentors more time to get excited about you, your company, and the problem you are trying to solve.
2. Give as much context as you can. What no one wants to do is arriving to the meeting without all the relevant information about you AND your company. If the question “so what do you do again?” comes up… you have a problem, and you are wasting valuable time.
3. Be specific about your problem. It’s all about efficiency. We need you to leave the mentoring session with the information you need to solve that one problem. We require you to provide as much information about it before the meeting, so we can find the perfect mentor. If your ask is too broad or not clearly defined, you won’t be considered for mentorship.
4. Be ready to be flexible. Mentors have the upper-hand on the scheduling. Be ready to move around your agenda on that day so you can meet your mentor. Remember that mentors are volunteers and are also taking valuable time to meet with you.
5. Show respect. Be there 10-5 minutes ahead of schedule. Listen to the feedback and don’t argue against it. There’s no tolerance for any type of disrespect as we want to keep a good and positive community! We will be rating sessions so be good and there will be loads more to come.
6. EXTRA TIP: Keep applying!
We would love to hear from you! Feel free to tweet us @mentordayco questions or feedback or even just a quick hi! 🙂